Tuesday 19 January 2016

Thoughtful presents: A hug in a bag

Before I go on with this post, I've written it not to big myself up in anyway of what I do for my friends; but this one is a good example of doing something when you don’t know what to do, but want to show you’re there for your friends all the same.

I've known my friend Charmaine (nicknamed Meryl) since 2012 as we used to work with each other in my wedding coordinating days. We try to meet up as often as we can but it can be difficult. Over the past couple of years her dad hasn't been in great health and has been in hospital a few times. I recall the first time this happening, and knowing that when she’s stressed she just has coffee and cigarettes at work, I knew I had to do something.

So I got one of those stacking boxes supermarkets use to display vegetables in and filled it with Covent Garden Soups, cereal, fruit juice, anything to provide her with the energy she needed and also to remind her to eat in the tough times.

I was watching a Meryl Streep film over the weekend and because Charmaine is nicknamed Meryl I thought I should text her. She text back saying that she’s been by her dad’s side at hospital for the past couple of weeks sleep on a Z-bed and when your friend is going through something tough, you have to do something.

She’s one of those people that doesn't really accept help or support, she’s very strong. So I made her a little care package for her and her dad. I've never met her dad so I had no idea of his likes and dislikes.


In the care package I put in a couple of quick to cook pasta meals for her strength, cereal bars for breakfast, Robinsons squash shots so she could drink something other than coffee or water, a colouring book as they are the trend for adults at the mo. I also got a magazine which I thought she could read with her dad or she could read articles out loud to him. I bought a pack of cards as there are games you can play on your own and if her dad is up to it, they could play together. I bought some nail varnish as she always likes to look her best, and even if you’re not feeling your best, the nail varnish might be a little boost that Charmaine needs. And I bought a cheap CD of 1950s hits as I thought her dad might like music from that era. Or if he hates music from that era then it would spur him on to make a speedy recovery.

Earlier this evening I popped by the hospital to give her the bag which was pretty much a hug in a bag. She’d had a tough day and the timing couldn't have been better. What was more surprising was with the CD, it was her dad’s favourite type of music! So I was really pleased that the bag of goodies helped put a smile on her face for a short time and gave her and her dad something else to talk about as well. I hope they find a CD player in the hospital to play the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment