Thursday 28 January 2016

Minimalism challenge update: Priorities, stress, habits and skills

This post is about goal setting and evaluating. So if this isn't your cup of tea, go make that cup of tea and come back tomorrow where you can read about something else.
For part of the challenge I had to ‘dig deep’ and identify 3-6 priorities of what matters in my life and how to add more of that to my daily life.
Here are my 5 priorities of life, I'm not sure how I can add them to my daily life, so any suggestions, let me know.
1. My friends happiness.
2. Continually working on relations with immediate family and relatives.
3. The constant battle of having too many things (in short keep sorting out my crap and don’t buy anything.)
4. Finding a boyfriend who doesn't need fixing.
5. Not be the one that always makes mistakes in the family.


I always had to examine my daily habits, and I came up with a few things that could be improved. I'm going to try and plan my outfits and make my packed lunch the night before to save time. I need to make more of a routine, rather then ad hoc the recycling and cleaning. I’ll read a book when I wake up as this is a relaxing start to the day. And I’ll try and not use the living room as a dumping ground!
I had to examine my stress triggers as well. Now I don’t get stressed, I think life is too short to let anything get to you. I only start showing signs of stress when systems in place don’t work, when something isn't communicated fully and when plans organised by others don’t go to plan.

As part of the challenge also I had to not buy anything for 24 hours and considering I'm constantly trying to save money, this wasn't that hard.

Single tasking was a tricky one for me. It meant doing one task at a time, and in the office where I work this is not so easy as I get interrupted by other emails and phone calls with more urgent things. However I did try and stay focused on one thing at a time.

I had to evaluate my last 5 purchases and at the time in the challenge I think they were great things. Who wouldn’t want to download One Direction’s History song?! It’s great and I downloaded it because I needed cheering up. I bought salad ingredients for my salad challenge, sweet potatoes for dinner, the Bend It Like Beckham musical soundtrack because I couldn't get the songs out of my head and I found it very uplifting. My last purchase leads me onto two more parts of the challenge.

The first is take a step towards learning a new skill; and I want to learn to juggle this year, so I bought some juggling balls. Which a few days in are still in their packet! Come on guys, we’re only 28 days into the year, give me a chance!


And this leads me onto the last part of the challenge I’ll be covering today, define your goals for this year. Now I've sort of combined new years resolutions with goals, and yes I know I’ve put down a lot of things to do, but why not? If I don’t achieve them all then that’s that, but what if I did achieve them, that would be pretty great.

So here they are:
• See all my relatives at least once before Christmas and get a photo with them
• Learn to fence
• Learn to juggle
• Don’t go to the cinema
• Unlock people’s potential
• Enter a screenwriting competition
• Do something to do with; earth, wind, fire and water
• Visit new places that spell out my full name

It’s going to be a busy 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment