Sunday 10 January 2016

Challenge within a challenge: New poems

It’s time for another one of my 30 day challenges and today it’s all about poems. At school my favourite part of English lessons was reading and annotating poetry. I definitely found poetry easier to understand then Shakespeare and my marks always fared better.

I haven’t read a lot of poetry since those English lessons and although I read a poetry book as part of my 29 challenge, it didn't leaving a great need to read anymore poetry books. However a poem a day might be worthwhile and that is what I'm doing for 30 days.

With all my challenges I try to get a friend to do them with me, as it’s more fun that way and you keep each other going. And for the poem challenge I’m doing it with my friend Mel. So each day since the 1st January we've been sending each other a poem a day.

I’ve known Mel less than a year and we met on the National Trust working holiday I did in the Breacon Beacons back in September. She was one of the first people that I spoke to and for most of the week we worked next to each other on the hillside. She’s great fun and very positive and is currently at uni training to be a teacher. In Germany you have to take a six year course! Her English is very impressive and this challenge whovknows maybe I’ll learn some German as well.



We’re ten days into the challenge and I’m not going to put every poem in full, as it would be a very long blog post. But I’ll list the first five poems and expand on a couple of favourite ones. Some of them don’t have who the poet is, and some don’t have a title so with them I put the first line as the title in the hope it’s easier to find on google. So sit back and relax for some nice Sunday reading.

Day 1
My poem- If by Anonymous (I am aware there is a poem of the same name by Rudyard Kipling, but this is along the same lines but in shorter form.)
The poem was up on my Grandma’s bathroom wall and when she passed away it was one of the things I kept, and it’s in a nice frame in my bedroom.

If
If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't
If you'd like to win, but think you can't
It's almost certain you won't
If you think you'll lose, you've lost
For out of the world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will-
It's all in the state of mind
If you think you're outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man
But sooner or later the man who wins
Is the one who think he can
Anonymous

Mel’s poem- Burning the old Year by Naomi Shihab Nye

Day 2
My poem- The Wedding Poem by Carrie Bradshaw
I went to my friend Jas’s wedding reception on day 2, so I thought a wedding poem was very apt.

Day 3
My poem- Don’t Quit, author unknown
I liked the determination shown throughout this poem.
Mel’s poem- Together we are strong, author unknown

Day 4
My poem- How not to have to dry the dishes, author unknown
I was trying to find a poem about journeys, but somehow found this random funny poem instead!
Mel’s poem- The Snow Man, Wallace Shawn

Day 5
My poem- You tell her that she’s beautiful, e.h
I was giving Mel some advice on guys on day 5, so I thought this was a good poem in what all guys should think when they have found the right girl.

Mel’s poem- I run to you, Lisa Sturge
I run to you
You're all I need
I need to feel your gentleness next to me
You caress my skin and I know everything is alright
Your complexion so pure an white
I love you like none else
I will never be with another for you are the kindest and gentlest
Every time we touch
I feel clean again
Like an ocean wave has washed over me

When we are apart
I feel dirty
Like my best friend has been torn from me
I ache to hold you, to scrunch you
I need to have more of you
Don’t run out on me
I cant live without you
You're my morning and my evening
I love you from the bottom of my heart
my beloved 3 ply toilet paper roll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment