Sunday 17 January 2016

Challenge within a challenge: Homemade is the only way

I pride myself on being the body that salad did not create. I hate salad; I find it boring and feel it tastes like soil. There was a time I didn't hate salad; I remember when I was five I made a face out of salad ingredients at school and ate the whole thing.

So I thought it would be a challenge doing something that you hate for 30 days. I'm eating salads for 30 days as either at lunch or at dinner time and I'm over halfway through and I haven’t missed a single day so far!


My first salad of the challenge

What I've learnt so far is that shop bought prepared salads aren't so great. The ones that I've made myself are way better, and are from recipe books I already have which means I'm doing things for another challenge as well (cooking from all my recipe books.)

A salad my mum made for me when I went over to my parents one Sunday.

The roasted sweet potato salad was yummy, as was the soft boiled egg and bacon salad, with an olive oil, lemon juice and Dijon mustard dressing. I think that’s the key to a good salad, have a good dressing.

Roasted sweet potato salad with a dressing made from: chilli, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice honey and extra virgin olive oil

The problem I have with recipes is I rarely cook just one portion, I ‘ll cook the full recipe and then cook to freeze. However you can’t freeze a salad so I just eat the same salad for a few days, and actually it’s not that bad to do.


With 13 days left I’m going to make all the salads myself. I was a bit lazy at the start of the month and shop bought them, so I’m going to cook more of a variety of different salads and who knows a few may become regular things I make to eat at lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment