Saturday 20 February 2016

Challenge within a challenge: Getting back in touch

If you have Facebook, what’s your number? One friend’s number is 2,421, another friends number is 689. Mine is 431 and that number is how many friends I have on Facebook. They’re a combination of family members, school friends, work colleagues, course mates, friends from uni and anyone else that comes into my life. The number isn't something to brag about, because I only stay in regular contact with a fraction of that number.

So this challenge is simple; to contact 30 Facebook friends who I haven’t spoken to in 2 years or more, or rarely or not at all.

In the first half of the month I've had 10 replies so far, which I don’t think is too bad a response rate. I've contacted a few old work colleagues, old family friends, old uni friends and people I used to go to pole with.

I thought I’d focus on 3 people that I contacted, the first being an old uni friend called Leanne. She was in the group of course mates that I was friends with and even went to her mum’s birthday party with her. But like some friendships it faded when she left in the third year. Most of the messages I send are along the lines of; Long time no speak, what are you up to these days?’ And Leanne replied to that; she’s living in London and working in recruitment, which is a far cry from our Journalism degree.


Another person I contacted was a guy called Matt who used to go to Quaker camp when we were growing up. He’s now working for a bank and living in Wales.


The last person I contacted was a bit of a risky one, but what’s the worst that can happen? The message just gets ignored, which in the grand scheme of things is pretty minor. Around 5 or 6 years ago I went out with a guy who lived in the next door set of flats to me. His name was Ben, but known to everyone as Ben number 2 as he was the second guy in a row I went out with who was called Ben. We saw each other for just over 2 months, but were friends for around a year after that. Then we had an argument and the friendship faded soon after.


Ben number 2 was going through a tough time when we were seeing each other, work was very stressful and he had some personal issues he was dealing with as well. Looking on his Facebook he looked very happy with his girlfriend. I sent a message saying that I was really happy that he was happy and that it looked like he was in a good place, as when I knew him it was quite a trying time, and I wished him well.

To my surprise he replied the same day! He said that he was very happy, living with his girlfriend and learning to enjoy life more. He hoped I was well and that he’d seen I’d done loads of great things and that I was loving life which was awesome.

It’s funny how someone who knew you a long time ago can pretty much sum you up in a sentence or two. I love how this challenge is going. I know I'm not going to get replies from everyone, but I’m excited to see who else I get replies from.

No comments:

Post a Comment