Monday 29 February 2016

Challenge within a challenge: A better understanding

For anyone who reads this blog, you will know that for the past few months I've been in a reading mode. I'm making the most of this in case it blows over. I've set myself two reading related challenges already; reading an autobiography for every film I want to see at the cinema but miss, and the Gilmore Girls book club with my friend Hayley. This challenge however will I'm hoping make me a better friend, in an area I'm not that familiar with; mental health, and in particular anxiety.
There are a few people in my life who suffer from anxiety, depression and maybe other mental health issues that I'm not aware of. I'm not going to say who these people are, because it wouldn't be right. But from my perspective I don’t know that much about mental health, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I could read textbooks about them, but I don’t want to end up preaching what I read, because I don’t think that would be helpful to anyone. Anyone who is going through any mental health issues, know what they are going through, they don’t need an outsider to explain what they already know.
This is what I'm going to do instead. I love Buzzfeed, it’s a great site which has articles about random acts of kindness and random lists and quizzes mainly.  They asked the Buzzfeed community which books help them manage their anxiety, and a list of 23 was given.

As part of my other two book related challenges, I've already read two off the list. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, which is on the list because one Buzzfeed reader said; ‘This book allowed me to find comfort in discovering life is not all it’s cracked up to be.’ And reading The Bell Jar I completely understand that point of view. It’s part of my Gilmore Girls book list, so I’ll go into my detail my views on that book in a later blog post.

The second book I read is Yes Please by Amy Poehler. I absolutely loved this book, it felt like it was an older friend having a chat and giving words of wisdom in a humourous way. It didn't feel like a very successful comedy actress who had won a fair few awards.


The reason Yes Please on the Buzzfeed list is because Amy: ‘…teaches you to be powerful, goal driven and outspoken. Amy also made me realise that being sensitive is OK.’

Amy was very encouraging in the book that it’s okay not to have everything together at times, and that it’s okay to be you, and that there are pressures in life that everyone goes through.

There is one part of the book which I really do want to do for someone. The actress Aubrey Plaza (who if a film is made about my life will be playing my cousin Miriam) showed up at the airport for Amy dressed up in this crazy fancy dress outfit, just to make Amy smile as she was going through a tough time. So not only do I want to be friends with Amy Poehler, I wouldn't mind being friends with Aubrey Plaza as well.

So to people I know suffering from anxiety or any other mental health issues; I'm not sure if my reading some books on a list will make any difference or impact. But I guess reading them and working through the list in some sort of way tells you that I'm thinking of you and that I'm always here for you. I may even buy you a copy of the books that are really good. And of course I’ll be willing to dress up in a crazy costume for you as well when you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment