Wednesday 24 February 2016

Random act of kindness: A piece of cake

There seems to be an unspoken rule that you shouldn't talk to people on trains. When I was at uni, whenever I went on a long train journey I made a point of talking to a stranger, so I felt like I had achieved something.


                                           The only picture I have of me on a train.

Since then I don’t really talk to people on trains anymore and that’s a shame, as you never know who you’re going to end up meeting.

I was in London on Wednesday evening going to do some volunteering at an event (which is today or yesterday depending on when you’re reading this) and I took the tube. Upon sitting down like everyone does you look around and generally start to do a bit of people watching. I smiled to a woman sitting near me and noticed that it looked like she’d just been crying or was about to. Her eyes and nose looked a little red and swollen. And unless you’re a Hollywood actress who;s skin doesn't change colour when you cry, these are usually human signs of some tears.

I know all too well over the past year about tears, particularly when you’re in public and trying your best not to cry as you know everyone will stare. For me it takes my skin around 20 minutes to go back to normal skin colour.

I looked over again at the woman and she smiled, although it seemed that it was a smile that was hard to master, as if she was too sad inside to fully smile. For some reason at that point I knew I had to do something, but didn't know what.

So this is what I did. I’d just bought a Boots Meal Deal and part of it was a piece of Red Velvet cake, still in its packaging. I tore a bit of a random envelope in my bag and wrote: ‘Smile. It’s going to be okay. Have some cake. Enjoy!’ Then upon leaving the train I handed this woman the cake and note, and she said thank you as I was making my way off the train. I briefly looked back and she smiled at the note, and looked like she was to cry again, but I hope tears of happiness and relief, and not sadness.

It was a simple, spare of the moment thing that I did, and I've made a conscious decision from now on to always carry a chocolate bar or something similar with me, and some post it notes. You never know when somebody needs a pick me up. And it would be great if you were inspired to do the same. You don’t have to say anything when making the gesture, I didn't and as a result the woman may have thought she wasn't alone in whatever she was going through.

A random act of kindness can really be just a piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment