Friday 5 February 2016

Challenge within a challenge: The final 9 songs of the 30 day song challenge

The weekend is here, a chance to chill out, and listen to some new music perhaps? If that's your sort of thing, then check out the last of the song choices my friend Linsey and I made in the 30 day song challenge.

Day 22: A song that you would be the theme song to a TV show about your life
Linsey- Good Riddance (Time of your life), Green Day
Me- This Year, Cooper
I heard this song on an advert for a new series of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. Now don’t judge the song based on that association, it’s a great summertime song that’s subtly uplifting at the same time.

Day 23: A song by your favourite band
Linsey- You're my Waterloo, The Libertines
Me- Hello World, Lady Antebellum
My two favourite bands are Lady Antebellum and Mcfly. I didn’t want to torture Linsey’s ears with McFly. So I went with Lady A instead. My all time favourite album is Need You Now, and Hello World is one of the songs off that album. (Thanks Lisa for the photo)


Day 24: A cover song
Linsey- Wonderwall, Ryan Adams
Me- Fix You, Naturally 7
I first heard about Naturally 7 on Hamish and Andy as I think they’re more popular in Australia then in the UK. They were recently on and were set a challenge of singing a chart song and then it seamlessly blending into the original version. The results were pretty amazing. This cover is brilliant and is definitely a band I’d want to see in concert.

Day 25: A song that makes you angry
Linsey- Hole, Violet
Me- Scream, Michael and Janet Jackson
During uni and about a year after if I got angry then I would dance, and this was known as angry dancing by my friends. I remember one time at uni I was so angry after cooking dessert for a guy that in the end didn't eat it, that I asked my room mate Vicky to leave the bedroom for 15 minutes (which was the time it took for me to calm down) while I angry danced. My dancing wasn't anything special, it was just me busting a move.
The last time I angry danced was back in 2009, I've mellowed a bit since then. It was when I was going to Australia with my family to visit our family friends which included my friend Tom. Tom had known about the trip for nearly a year and he made a mistake and booked a holiday for most of the time we were going to be there. I was so angry that he made that mistake that even after angry dancing for 40 minutes, I was still angry. But a lot fitter afterwards. This was one of the main songs I danced to.


Day 26: An acoustic song you love
Linsey- Suck it and see, Arctic Monkeys
Me- Always be my baby, David Cook
My sister Lisa was obsessed with season 7 of American Idol. She didn't watch any of the other seasons as it was a big commitment. I think our whole family during that season knew the names and musical style of most of the contestants. Brooke White, Michael Johns, Jason Castro, Carly Smithson anyone? The winner and Lisa’s favourite contestant was David Cook and he really was great. He really made each song his own. And when it was Mariah Carey week he covered her song Always Be My Baby. It’s different from the original and sounds like it should be on the end credits of a film.

Day 27: A song you make fun of
Linsey- Hopeless Wonderer, Mumford and Son
Me- Score Tonight, Grease 2
I’m going to say this out loud, I like Grease 2. There’s a small amount of people who prefer Grease 2 over the original. My sisters and one of my managers in my first job out of uni are the only people I know that like Grease 2. Yes the original is good, the songs are memorable, but the songs on Grease 2 are something else. Where else would you find a song about bowling, reproduction, being a cool rider and the seasons? Special mention to the song Turn Back Time, I really think it’s some of Michelle Pfeiffer's finest work. Score Tonight is a song that could be mocked but having a dance routine involving bowling is quite impressive and needs to be seen to be believed.

Day 28: A song that is your workout song
Linsey- A Forest, The Cure
Me- Far From Over, Frank Stallone
This is another song that I discovered on Hamish and Andy. A few years ago one of the listeners made the discovery of Frank Stallone and how he was the more talented Stallone brother. What started was a campaign by Hamish and Andy to get Frank over to Oz so they could meet him and furthermore put on a concert. It was a big success and this was the main song he is known for. At the time there was a phone in about how listening to this song first thing in the morning, improved productivity. And this song does make me row, run or cycle faster when I'm at the gym.

Day 29: A song currently stuck in your head
Linsey- Can't Feel my Face, The Weekend
Me- Sweeter, Gavin DeGraw
Guess what…it’s another song I heard in a trailer. The trailer was for the film Christmas with the Coopers which was quite a good Christmas film.

Day 30: A song that you haven't listened to in a while
Linsey: I heard love was blind, Amy Winehouse
Me: Lessons Learned, Carrie Underwoodhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSm19ETQvg
I've got quite a bit of country music thanks to my sister Lisa, and this is from one of the albums she had. This song appeared on shuffle and I forgot how good it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment