Sunday 3 April 2016

Challenge within a challenge: A good start to retirement

On the 23rd March my mum retired from teaching. Her birthday was also on the 14th March, so as a belated birthday present I took her to see Cecelia Ahern give a talk at Kensington Waterstones. My mum and I have read most of Cecelia’s books, although some of them do blur into each other, so we’re not sure of which ones we've read. However her second book Where Rainbows End is one of my all time favourite books.

The talk was really interesting and it started off well as there were free cupcakes and drink. The cupcake had a fair bit of icing on so it was quite filling. We were two rows from the front and there was only around 20 people there, so it was nice and cosy.


Cecelia was talking about her new book called Flawed and it was her first young adult book she had written. So we got to hear an extract and then she discussed it as well as answering questions. Now last time I went to an author Q&A I missed my chance to ask a question as I was too nervous, so I wasn't going to let that happen again. I asked her the same question as I asked David Nicholls when I did eventually ask him a question at his book signing. I asked if she gets writers block and how she deals with it. She asked me if I wrote, and I said that I screen write and she said wow and I also said in April that my friend Hayley and I were trying to each write a book in a month and she seemed impressed by that. Her advice was great and similar to what I’d been doing with my latest screenplay. She also wished me and my friend luck in our challenge!


I wore a dress for the occasion and it was a Dorothy Perkins one I got a few years ago. I wore it when I was a Wedding Coordinator and at one wedding a guest turned up in the same dress! With any dress I wear I donate to charity and I donated to the National Literacy Trust which among other things gives books to disadvantaged children.

No comments:

Post a Comment