Saturday 31 December 2016

Screenwriting: Like-minded people

When I was at uni I did a short course on writing short films. It was a four day course spread over a month. One of the things I learnt on the course was that if you had a ‘Hollywood meeting’ about your work, you should also have something up your sleeve, in case the powers that be like your work and want to see what else you’ve written.

This is something I’ve always remembered and going into 2016 one of my aims was to join a screenwriting group. During my 29 challenge, I wrote a fair bit and as a result had ‘something up my sleeve’ to show people. So armed with this I went about joining a group where I could a) learn about the industry and b) more importantly meet people who could help, collaborate or point me in the right direction of somebody that could get my screenplays made (that being the ultimate aim.)

At the start of the new year I discovered Industrial Scripts which I have mentioned before on this blog. Industrial Scripts put on Insider Interviews once a month in London. These are interviews with a variety of people in the film industry; screenwriters, producers and directors. Networking then follows after.

Armed with my Vista Print made business cards I went to my first event and it couldn’t have gone any better. I ended up getting a reputation for being a powerhouse after explaining how much I’d written in 18 months (which apparently was not normal.) Give or take a couple of months I’ve been to most of these this year and I’ve learnt something everytime and met other people who screen write. People that have got something made, or are at the same stage as me, or have yet to start writing.

I also attend a monthly group called the Creative Meat in Hitchin. This group was recommended by my old boss as she knew I did screenwriting as a hobby and thought this could help. The first ‘meat’ I went to everyone was friendly and it was a great atmosphere. The format was pretty similar to Industrial Scripts, except the focus is on creative people in general and not just screenwriters. In fact, I didn’t meet anyone who did screenwriting until the start of December.


At one of the ‘meats’ there was an exercise we all were asked to do. During the weeks between that ‘meat’ and the next we had to pick a name out of a hat and meet for a drink with that person to see how we could help each other out creatively.

As a result, I got to know Frankie who is a Jack of all trades and Pete who is a freelance photographer. Meeting anyone creative instantly gets me motivated. Pete was and is really enthusiastic about my work. He in fact encouraged a passing idea I had years ago which I mentioned in our initial catch up and got me to write it as a short film. And following this I entered my first competition with it in September.

The screenwriter I met at the start of the month, Nigel was a great person to meet. Upon chatting we realised that we’re both at the same point and realised that we could help each other out. We could be a sounding board for potential ideas, and a new pair of eyes for any drafts we have that need reading and feedback to be given.

At the last Industrial Scripts event I went to I met two others who have offered to read my screenplays. Although some would broach with caution people who want to read my work, in the fear that they would nick my ideas for their own; I think you have to get to know the person beforehand. The people I’ve spoken to are writing in completely different genres, so if I can get someone who isn’t a fan of the genre I’ve written in, to respect and even like my work, then I maybe onto a winner.
With Pete and Nigel, I’m going to meet up with each individually on a monthly basis going forward and I think this will be incredibly beneficial. I already feel inspired and motivated after every creative event I go to. Meeting up with like-minded people will mean I’m constantly motivated.

Both Pete and Nigel will tell me if what I’m writing is rubbish. I’ve yet to receive feedback from Nigel on my work, but Pete was the only one I sent my short film to before sending it off for competition and his feedback was amazing. Although I didn’t win the competition, his feedback gave me a real boost. The short film was about M and James Bond and he said he could imagine the characters saying the lines and said he was laughing halfway through the first page. You can’t really get much better feedback than that.

Going into next year I look forward to getting a good set of contacts to help me on my way in screenwriting. One person I met at Industrial Scripts in December called Shell said I had an infectious enthusiasm and I inspired her to start writing. So even though I haven’t had any of my screenplays made, the fact I got someone else to start writing is something I didn’t expect to do. I write because I don’t want to be one of those people that say I’m going to write someday. I want to be the person that writes and gets on with it. I want to continue this into 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment