Friday 11 November 2016

Thoughtful presents: Social media helps

I’ve read several articles recently about how with social media can make some people feel more alone. For me using Facebook for me only enhances friendships. I have a Facebook group for myself and 7 of my school friends and it’s great for arranging catch ups as we can get answers really quickly on when we’re free. Things like Instagram can help you see what your friends are up to that you may not have seen in a while. And while I’ve got a Twitter account but rarely tweet, it’s fun to look at from time to time.

When it comes to thoughtful presents I  get clues from social media as to what and when to give someone a thoughtful present. You see the odd status update or tweet from time to time of when friends are stressed and not going their way. My trick is to remember those times but then act on it weeks, or even months after they’ve said something, and when people least expect it.

I love giving gifts when it’s not a special occasion; I find they are more thoughtful and appreciated that way. I’ve sent two gifts out in the past few weeks.

The first gift I got was for my friend Paula who I haven’t seen her in over a year. A few months ago she was saying how stressed she was and when somebody says something like that I immediately think what can I do? She loves shoes; I am in awe of her shoe collection, particularly as its spread over two locations! I wasn’t going to buy her a pair of shoes but I did find a book on shoes which I knew she’d love. I sent a little typed note saying life is always better when there are shoes and to look at it when she got stressed. I didn’t put my name on the note, and a few days after I sent it she put something on Facebook thanking the anonymous donor of the book. I still haven’t said it was me, so surprise Paula if you’re reading this!


The second gift I got was for Kas who I haven’t seen since uni (still can’t believe I graduated 8 years ago.) Like me Kas has been through the job hunt a lot and it was a random tweet she put out that got me thinking there’s something I can do.

As you know this year I’ve read a lot of books and my friend Linsey bought me #GIRLBOSS for Christmas last year. I read it in January and it’s now one of my favourite books. It’s a non candy coated autobiography about how Sophia Amoruso started running how own business and I thought it’s a book I thought Kas needed in her life. It inspired and motivated me no end and it’s a book I could talk non-stop about.


Kas knew she was getting something in the post as I asked for her address but she had no idea what. She sent me the kindest message thanking me and I was glad I could give a bit of a boost when she needed it.

Giving thoughtful presents isn’t rock science; all it takes is a bit of listening, reading and asking yourself the simple question: what can I do to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment