Tuesday 10 May 2016

Thoughtful presents: Laugh your troubles away

I read that on average a child laughs between 300-500 times a day, and for an adult its only 15 times a day on average. And with doing a laughter journal a couple of months ago, it helped me be aware of what I find funny and what I laugh at on a daily basis.

A little while ago I mentioned on the blog about my friend Charmaine aka Meryl. Her dad was in hospital and she was by his bedside every day. Because of this I got her a hug in a bag which was supplies to keep her going. Unfortunately, her dad passed away, and then sadly on his funeral her mother in law passed away as well.

We met up a few weeks ago and she said that she just wants to start laughing again, because of there being so much sadness. It was a fleeting comment that she forgot about, but I remembered it and it got me thinking of whether there was something I could do.

And this is what I came up with; I created a laughter jar. I got a mason jar and some coloured paper and filled it with suggestions of things that would make Charmaine laugh. Everyone’s sense of humour is completely different and so I asked friends, family, work colleagues and even the local barman the simple question of what made them laugh. So their suggestions were put in the jar as well.


I lent her some comedy DVDs as well in case Charmaine needed to watch something a little longer. She loved the laughter jar and it was so easy to put together. Give it a go if you’ve got a friend going through a tough time, it may put a smile on their face again.


No comments:

Post a Comment